First time submitting a job
For new users, we recommend following this presentation, that should give you an idea of how to submit jobs.
Then to practice the basics of job submission on a HTCondor cluster, some exercises are proposed on this Wiki.
- File Transfers:
- Please note that contrary to what is usually shown in documentation and examples, we recommend not using HTCondor file transfer mechanisms (should_transfer_files = NO) and copy files yourself within your script.
- Always adapt requested resources to your job
- You need to adapt the resources you request to what you estimate your job will need. Requesting more than what you really need is wasteful and deprive your fellow users from ressources they might require.
- To do so, just add to your submit file the following lines:
request_cpus = 1 request_memory = 200MB request_disk = 1GB
- Note that for a job, if you need more than 1 cpu / 4GB of memory / 10GB of disk, please be careful and sure of what you are doing.
HTCondor Official Documentation
Have a look at the official User Manual on the HTCondor website.
It is very well done and explains all available features.
HTCondor Workshop Presentation
Every 6 months, there is an HTCondor workshop. Presentations are usually very helpful, especially if you want to go into details of HTCondor (API, DAGMan, ...). You can find the agenda of the latest one here